Sunday, July 24, 2011

R n B Sundays: Babyface

                                              What a timeless album!

This is the first of my RnB Sunday posts.  I'll start with the classics because they paved the way.

I guess "the universe" started me here (my friend took Micheal Bolton) so Babyface it is.

I was introduced to him by my mother, we actually owned this particular album but it got lost somewhere. While on our usual mall trolls, my friend and i came across a GREAT SALE!! Mind you we are in the middle of career determining exams, our attorney's admission exams start on Tuesday, but we found time to wander around the mall!( And i have time to blog - this is the moment you should all feel special).

Reliable Music warehouse is selling 3 cd's for R99!! This was one of them- ill debut the rest later. (If you are in the US divide by 7). I Know, GREAT DEAL!


I must have been 11 when i started listening to this album, although not quite understanding the depth of the lyrics but in my 11 year old mind i knew that love was a very serious thing.
I  thought "guys have such big hearts or are Hero-like" songs like 'Change the world' and 'how come, how long' influenced that.
'Soon as I get home' and 'Never keeping secrets' made me think that fidelity, honesty and a man treating you well was a given. *sigh*

 Above all, to this day i hold that there is no way that a man can apologise without being as sorry as in "Reason for breathing".
I don't wanna go clubbing, I got no one to dance with me
I don't wanna go shopping, I got no one to spend my money on
Spending my time with one glass of wine
Playing solitaire just to ease my mind
Poured one for you, but I drank that too
Anything to kill the pain of losing you

I would listen to this part and be like "Wow, a woman can do this to a man? I mean he doesnt want to go shopping because he has no one to spend his money on? cant buy himself something?" I would ask my mother these questions and she would just laugh.

I think i subconsciously decided that someone has to feel this way about me someday and nothing less would be acceptable! 

I turn on the radio just to take the hurt away
Another night and I'm missing you
Girl, it's killing me

And the finale line was: *dramatic rise in tempo*
But I'm lost in this pain and I don't have much time
I'm so tired of walking this same old line
So
I'm taking my pride, gonna throw it aside
Please let me breathe girl, I'm sorry.

Chorus:  (to put things in context)

I don't wanna die tonight, but I think I might be going down
'Cause the only one I ever cared about is nowhere to be found
I don't wanna close my eyes 'cause I might not see the light of day
I'm almost out of air
You're my reason for breathing
You're my reason for breathing

This song is the "Standard of Sorriness". I guess it explains why no ex boyfriend has ever been successful in reconciliation attempts. Ha Ha.
As an 11 year old, i could feel that this man's life depended on this woman forgiving him. She really was his reason for breathing!! It was as if  he was on life support and the machine is beeping faster and her "i forgive you" would stablise his condition.

Overall, this was a pretty great album and 11 years later i was glad to compare what i thought then with what ive learnt now. My "Standard" is still high and im holding out for a 'Soon as I get home ' kinda guy..

Have you heard this album? What did you think of it? Favourite songs? Share guys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The 5 Guys I Adore..... But Could Never Date

I decided to rework a few articles from the past! This is one of them from 2011.. Some of the views expressed herein have changed eg, I no...