Monday, November 23, 2015

Monday Madness: Thank you Mom and Shonda Rhimes




The title of Shonda Rhimes' new book is 'Year of Yes', however most of the news has been about that she said no to marriage. I haven't watched the full episode yet, but its Monday and I said Yes to writing every Monday! The few clips I watched were inspiring and its  liberating to say 'yes' and probably equally to say 'no'. It all comes down to a level of maturity and self awareness where you know what you need. Do you need to stop saying Yes or start saying No? or the opposite? 

She sat down to talk to Oprah. Can we have a moment of silence to respect that synergy of  the power of these amazing black women in TV and film.






I don't want to focus on the marriage segment or the get into the "can women have it all?" discussion. We will get there, don't worry. Shonda said she likes to date and have boyfriends- both things I do not like. To be honest, I find it embarrassing to have a boyfriend. 


Mmm maybe I have poor taste


Of all the clips I saw, this one struck a nerve:





I lost my mother when I was 13. Most of the memories I have about my mother are of her at work, barefoot and behind her desk until after 9pm. On Sundays after church she would stay for a quick lunch and head back to the office. My mother was a pioneer in the legal fraternity in Botswana. She started her own law firm in her early thirties and its still standing today almost 20 years later. Plus, she was a huge Oprah fan!

My mother was not on the level of Shonda Rhimes, but if she had more time on earth she would have been on the cover of every business publication! I think she felt guilty about how much time she spent at work, so she would always make sure she gave us all of her when she was home and insisted on vacations every year! 

Today, I am so grateful for the image of womanhood she presented to me. She showed me that its ok to be a powerful woman, to be different and stand alone while  pursuing some unconventional ideas- growing up my mother had like 5 side businesses! When you see me hustling and grinding, I am simply doing what I was taught: I got it from my momma! 

It took me a while to find my voice and niche, but now that I am getting there, I think my mom would approve of this message:



What did your mom or other career moms like Shonda Rhimes teach you about life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The 5 Guys I Adore..... But Could Never Date

I decided to rework a few articles from the past! This is one of them from 2011.. Some of the views expressed herein have changed eg, I no...